The mountains of North Carolina provide a beautiful escape during the summertime. Milder temperatures make our region a refreshing place to enjoy summertime activities. To help you plan your vacation, we have compiled a list of 15 things to do in Banner Elk, NC in the summer. Read on to discover the range of exciting activities found within a few miles of The Highlands at Sugar.
1. Grandfather Mountain State Park features12 miles of trails for hiking. The trails are challenging, so be sure to come prepared with proper clothing and equipment. The beautiful scenery here includes diverse plant species and wildlife.
2. One unique and special way to view the Blue Ridge Mountains is from the air. Hawksnest Zipline features 20 different zip lines. From over 2,000 feet long to over 200 feet high and traveling up to 50 mph, this is a great adventure.
3. Plan a visit to Grandfather Vineyard & Winery to sample their wine collection. Replenish your wine rack with your favorites. Gift baskets are also available. Check their website for special events.
4. High Mountain Expeditions offers a variety of activities for your mountain adventure. Choose from whitewater rafting, river tubing, hiking, and/or caving. This is a great adventure for families, first-timers, individuals, or groups.
5. Make your reservation with Edge of the World for whitewater rafting, rock climbing, rappelling, and/or kayaking. They make your experience so much more by providing entertainment during your bus ride and providing a home-cooked lunch. One of the things to do in Banner Elk that has been rated “Excellent” by Trip Advisor.
6. A wonderful experience for the entire family is a visit to Apple Hill Farm. Tour the farm and see donkeys, chickens, llamas, alpacas, dogs, cats, horses, and goats. Stop by their store to purchase alpaca yarns or apparel and accessories made with the yarn. Check their website for special events such as Shearing Day. One of the things to do in Banner Elk that has been rated “Excellent” by Trip Advisor.
7. Prospecting made easy. Let your family experience the thrill of prospecting at Sugar Creek Mining Company. Pan for your gems, get them sorted and identified and then cut and set for jewelry. This is fun for all ages.
8. Kettell Beerworks offers refreshingly elevated beers. They use freshwater collected from clean mountain water. Brewhouse tours are available, and the facilities are family-friendly.
9. Grandfather Trout Farm offers the ultimate fishing experience. They provide the equipment, tackle and bait for free. Three ponds are stocked with different sized Rainbow Trout. You pay for what you catch and they will even clean it for you. Fun for beginners and experienced.
10. Enjoy the beauty of the Blue Ridge Mountains on horseback. Banner Elk Stables will fit you with just the right horse for your riding ability. Then enjoy the rocking of the horse as you travel the trails on your guided tour.
11. Visit Maggie Black Pottery and see a true artist at work. Maggie’s work is inspired by the natural world around her. Stop by and check out her workshop and stoneware products.
12. Do you look for ways to make dinner more exciting? Banner Elk Olive Oil & Balsamics offers a wide variety of imported olive oils, balsamic vinegars, salts, exotic herb mixes and much more to enhance your cooking skills. Their knowledgeable staff is on-hand to offer tips and advice.
13. For a relaxed dining experience visit Highlander’s Grill & Tavern. They offer a full bar, lunch and dinner specials, and a children’s menu. Catch the games on their big screens or visit them on Friday night for Karaoke.
14. Don’t forget to get those 18 holes of golf in while on vacation, as well. Sugar Mountain Public Golf Course, Elk River Club, and Boone Golf Club are all in or near Banner Elk. Schedule your tee time today.
15. Emerald Outback at Beech Mountain features over 8 miles of challenging trails for hiking, running, or biking. Visit their website to get a detailed trail map.
This is not meant to be a complete list of things to do while on vacation in Banner Elk. Boone, Avery and High Point plus other towns in the area also have other attractions and events that may interest you and your family. Here are some websites you can visit to look for other things to do in Banner Elk: